Team 341B is into learning. Like really into learning. They love it so much it’s their full-time job. For this Summer STEM Challenge, we decided to create some StoryBots who actually move…or dance!
Challenge: Design a battery-powered dancing StoryBot!
- pool noodle
- dollar store electric toothbrush
- StoryBots Summer STEM Challenge Eyes
- optional (markers, crayons, or colored pencils)
Step 1: Cut the noodle
👩👧 This is a grown-up job. You’ll need to cut the pool noodle to a smaller size. I cut Bang to about 7 inches tall. You need to make sure it’s tall enough for the toothbrush to fit inside.
Step 2: Load the motor
In our case, the motor is an electric toothbrush. If possible, pop the top brush part off.
Step 3: Cut out the eyes
Download and print out our StoryBots Summer STEM Challenge Eyes! Use the same color, or mix it up! It’s your StoryBot, right?! Attach the eyes with tape or glue.
Step 4: Insert toothpicks in the bottom
Being very careful with the toothpicks, insert three into the bottom, making a triangle. This will help reduce friction and make your StoryBot a little more mobile! *To make your StoryBot less sharp, try cutting off the pointy tip of each toothpick.
Step 5: Power UP!
Switch the toothbrush on, then place on a very smooth surface. You StoryBot should wiggle, spin, and even travel a little. What surfaces work best with your StoryBot?
There’s many variables you can change:
- Make your StoryBots really short or super tall!
- Can you make a track (with walls) that the StoryBot can follow?
- Attach markers, crayons, paint brushes, or colored pencils to your StoryBot to create a StoryBots Doodle Bot! Place on a piece of paper to create a masterpiece.
Hope your summer is full of curiosity, questions, and some really silly songs. You can find even more fun stuff at StoryBots.com!