The StoryBots are super excited to support World Read Aloud Day! Celebrated on the first Wednesday in March, World Read Aloud Day, or WRAD, is dedicated to taking action to show the world that the right to read and write belongs to all people. World Read Aloud Day motivates children, teens, and adults worldwide to celebrate the power of words, especially those words that are shared from one person to another, and creates a community of readers advocating for every child’s right to a safe education and access to books and technology.
Of course, a great way to celebrate this day and support the cause is to spend some time reading aloud to your child from Starring You Books! Have your child pick his/her favorite book, and settle in for some epic story time.
Here are some tips for reading aloud from LitWorld:
- Be animated and use a voice that matches the expressions and emotions of the characters during a read aloud to bring the experience alive for listeners.
- Use different voices for different characters so that children come to recognize dialogue within a text and individual character traits.
- Ask questions as you read. Ask children to predict what will happen next, or the meaning of a vocabulary word that might be new.
- Allow children to ask you questions and model the behaviors of an active reader, such as looking back to the text to answer questions.
- After you finish the story, have a conversation that focuses on connecting the text to the children’s life, their favorite books, or any connections the children come up with.
Check out this kit with even more ideas on how you can celebrate the day!